Front Page


VIC/SA border bubble cancelled

FROM this week, every Australian intending to travel into Victoria will need to apply for a permit under the State Government’s new traffic light system, including residents living in Victorian-South Australian cross-border communities.

Premier, Daniel Andrews said the system would allow the chief health officer to designate regions in other parts of Australia as green, orange or red, depending on the COVID-19 risk in the particular area.

“Until we have a vaccine, we’ll need to continue to react and respond to changing circumstances,” he said.

“This system will make sure we can do just that, while supporting the rapid response of our contact tracing team.”

“With an easy to understand traffic light system, Victorians and Australians will understand exactly what the latest public health advice means for them, and their travel plans.”

Current permits including transit and worker permits – will remain valid, so long as they are consistent with public health’s advice on zones.

What has changed?

UNDER the new system, you will need to apply for a permit to enter Victoria from anywhere in Australia, except border communities in NSW where locals will require proof of their home address.

The type of permit will depend on where you have been, with applicants required to provide details on where they are coming from and where they are traveling to.

Those who have visited red zones in the past 14 days will not be allowed to enter Victoria without an exception or exemption.

Get a year of access to Spectator or Observer for $208

Get this offer nowAlready a subscriber? Sign in

More From